During your first three years at Y Pant (Years 7 to 9, Key Stage 3) you have followed programmes of study described as Core, Foundation and Compulsory subjects within the National Curriculum.
At Key Stage 4 (Years 10 and 11) the statutory subjects (those that have to be studied by law) are the Core subjects of English, Mathematics and Science, the compulsory subjects of Physical Education, Religious Education, P.S.E. and Welsh. Information & Communication Technology will also be studied by all pupils. Further subjects will have to be chosen. This website is designed to help you make this choice. Use the links at the top of the page to find information about about the different subjects you will be studying.
In choosing the option subjects particular consideration should be given to the need to ensure breadth and balance in an individual student’s educational experience. Science will be taught as the Double Award G.C.S.E. level both in teaching time and in the Double Certificate that will be awarded at the end of the course, i.e. equal to 2 G.C.S.E.’s. Students may also choose to follow the 3 sciences as separate subjects.
Every effort will be made to accommodate the option choices of each student. However we cannot guarantee this should timetabling difficulties make this impossible.
When choosing your subjects you should bear in mind the following points:
- The same subject cannot be chosen more than once.
- Do not let your choice of subjects be influenced by a friend’s choice,because of a particular subject teacher or someone else deciding it should be a choice. The final choice must be yours ‐ you will be the one who will be taking the examinations at the end of ONE or TWO years study!
- The examinations taken in Years 10 and/or 11 are as follows:
- Level 2 Certificates. For example The General Certificate in Secondary Education (G.C.S.E.).
- Level 1 Certificate (G.C.S.E.)
- G.C.S.E. Double Award in Vocational subject areas.
- BTEC courses
- Diploma in Digital Applications (DiDA)
- Certificate in Personal Effectiveness (C.O.P.E.)